Sunday, June 21, 2009

Life, interrupted

Strange how things can transform dramatically and then as soon as they start they are resolved, leaving you relieved but at the same time kind of wondering what just happened.

I went for my first mammogram and got the dreaded "call back" meaning they found something that was an "area of interest." An ultrasound revealed a mass that had some suspicious qualities. Long story short, a biopsy revealed a benign (thank you, Jesus) tumor. The tumor, a fibroademona for any of those of you who would like to look it up on wikipedia, can just hang out indefinitely because they do not become cancer---sometimes these things do grow, but that's not usually the case (once again, based on my "professional-no-medical-training-whatsoever opinion.")

I wanted to thank all of those friends of mine who prayed for me. I can't imagine the intense emotional and physical struggle for women who are diagnosed with breast cancer, but I can say that being called back for a biopsy was scary enough...


However, this whole experience reminded me of something cool that St. Paul said in the book of Romans, that nothing--nothing in heaven, or in earth or seen or unseen---can separate us from the love of God.

2 comments:

billie said...

Dawn, I'm sorry you had to go through that stress and so relieved with you that it is nothing to worry about.

I had a similar scenario when I was 32, except that I found the lump myself and when I went in, they decided to go ahead and remove it to get the biopsy.

It was benign, thank goodness, and I've never had another issue.

So glad things are okay for you now.

Dawn said...

Dang, I'm sorry you went through that. It's always a relief, and while it's stressful, well, that's the reason I guess we get routine mammos and self exams....

And you rock, if I haven't told you that lately....