Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Happy Birthday William Shakespeare


Yep. Big Bill the Bard was born on this day 1564, (well, give or take a day--records are actually fairly inconclusive) and died on this day in 1616.

I know it's a side trip from the contents of this blog, but as a writer, I can think of no greater compliment than for some of your writing to actually be considered a part of the English language. One reason why Billy Shakes just simply rocks. Whenever you hear "quick as a wink" the "devil incarnate" or "burning the candle at both ends"--you have Big Bill to thank. (Granted, many of these are now considered cliche, and probably wouldn't be the best to use in your writing...but that's neither here or there right now.)

I was blessed to go to Holy Trinity Church last year and see where Shakespeare was buried. It was amazing. You can see why Stratford and the beautiful Avon River inspired him so. When I ran into a Brit walking along the river trail, I couldn't contain my excitement about being in Stratford. I told him it was, for me, a dream came true.

"Really, luv?" he raised his eyebrows. "I just come here to feed the swans."

Happy birthday Shakespeare!

Hey, anyone want to tell me about your favorite Shakespeare plays?
Here are my favs:
"King Lear" (all time favorite)
"Measure for Measure"
---"That Scottish Play About the King that is a Bad Omen for Artists and Must not Be Named."
"Much Ado About Nothing" (esp. the film version with Kenneth Branaugh and Robert Sean Leonard. Hubba, hubba, hubba.)

And though it is so stereotypical to say you love Hamlet, well, I love Hamlet.

No comments: